Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The First Dandelion of the Season

In 1996 my husband and I moved from Ontario to British Columbia because of Ontario's Looooonnnggg winters.  We do get a lot of rain here in the winters but at least we don't shovel it and when the sun comes out we rejoice at the greenness and freshness of everything.  We just finished a long stretch of rain (a lot even for us)  I said to my daughter in the fall, (after a heat wave) "I'm looking forward to the rainy days, making tea, lighting candles, reading and snuggling with a cat."  Monday I was done with that feeling!  I looked out the window at the dark day and realized it was 3:00 in the afternoon and we had the lights on. Enough, turn off the rain now.   Well today was one of those days to rejoice.   We woke up to sunshine and temperatures of 11〫C or  50〫F.   I went out to pull weeds that had taken over the front garden during the rain.  Something yellow in the lawn caught my eye.  Could it be?  It is!  A dandelion on January 26th!!!  (Yes, I know in a few more months, I will be saying 'enough of the dandelions'.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my,a dandelion in January! I'm looking out my window at about 7 inches of snow, but I have to say it's beautiful. Your photo is a nice reminder that this too shall pass! nancy

    ReplyDelete